Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Tired" & True

Isaac was up 5 times between 10:30p.m. and 12:40a.m.  Finally the last time he told me that his leg hurts… so I recalled my childhood nights, crying for my parents to rub my legs… I remember it well—so does that mean I had to have my legs rubbed A LOT??!  Uh oh – I gave him some advil and rubbed his leg for about 10minutes…that is the last time I heard him.  Then Trevor found it appropriate to get up for the day at 5:20a.m.  He did fall back asleep just in time for my alarm to sing to me.  I needed to physically awake both my kids at 7:30a.m. JUST turning on the lights AND drying my hair didn’t do it– how come they don’t sleep that late on the weekends?

I AM TIRED… I thought the whole lack of sleep was supposed to have a conclusion when as new parents you await that first night of “full sleep” that everyone talks about.  Well into 5 years of no sleep, I am waiting for that night still.  Ok-- so I have gotten a few of those nights, but they are few and far between.  How do people have more than 2 kids cope…we got a KING size bed that was going to allow me the opportunity for more sleep, but the kids still don’t sleep if they are in my bed.  (which is best… I would rather they slept in their own.)  It is comfortable whenever I am in it, but I still struggle to “jump” out of bed whenever my kiddos need me.  Is it a habit now for them?  What is it that they possibly need so many times out of the week? 

AND although I do “jump” out of bed… why must it be sooooo difficult for the other half of the bed to move?  Lights are switched on, stretching occurs… we aren’t up for the day are we Joe? – I could almost be back to bed by the time he is out… which is understandably why I just started doing it myself anyway… I gave up on that argument a long time ago.  Whatever happened to switching nights? 

I fully understand when they are sick and not feeling like themselves, and as the season of colds is upon us – I am dreading the nights.  As a mother, there is no better feeling than that of a comforted child surrounded with you loving arms- even in the midst of the night, but it is equally as frustrating and draining when you are unable to comfort that child.

Mornings are even tougher... climbing out of bed as I have just gotten into it.  Please be dry, please be dry… Isaac has struggled waking up dry.  He has great spurts up to 18 days even!  And suddenly he will be back to needing laundry services daily.  Efforts to alleviate accidents have proven unsuccessful.  I have set my alarm to just miss an episode, or only to have him not be able to go and need sheets changed in the a.m. anyway.  = a huge part of my sleepless nights. 

It is tiring keeping away a persistent kid’s sip of water after he just finished running a marathon in the park, but it’s too close to bedtime.  Sadly, he finds drinking bath water is a drink of choice if needed.  Yuck… All these “rules”…”guidelines” to follow… nothing works, until they decide it will.  Unfortunately, I, as the parent, still haven’t learned that.  Isaac is improving every week-- Honestly, I suppose he just needs to grow out of it.

Keeping routines in our house is tiring, but it is VERY true that when they aren’t followed then the process is even more draining.  This is especially true with Trevor.  He is the routine maker.  Not that prior to my second boy routines weren’t established, but we could deviate a bit more than swaying from Trevor’s routine…you better have a good reason for it, or your body, mind, and conscience will pay. 

The schedule in our house is baths, books in their room, then right to bed… in that order… no ifs, ands, or buts… --unless the kids want to!  Ha!  Trevor is not wanting to quit with books or the iPad.. He used to be that “easy” child (the reason to have a routine) that you tuck into bed, give kisses and goodnights, and close the door.  You wouldn’t hear from him until the middle of the night. 

As I have mentioned, we are starting mini remodels of the kids’ bedroom.  I fear the change for Trevor.  Although I think it is a great time to apply different changes in the routine.  He is going from his toddler bed into a twin bed – so we are also going to start bath time earlier (maybe even immediately following supper) and read books, or challenge him with the iPad DOWNSTAIRS...until his bedtime approaches.  I know it is an adjustment for me too!... lol… Thank goodness for winter, but what to do when summer comes back around and we play outside?...

Maybe I should make the adaptation for myself and go to bed at 830pm... Would that resolve tired eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment