Thursday, October 13, 2011

Game time...

Isaac loves to play “board games.”  I first introduced them to him around 2 years old.  I had noticed at that time his attention span was diminishing.  I REALLY, truly believe that board games and structures including turn taking, winning vs. losing, and just the “fun” play have lead Isaac to more self control.  So I was thrilled with the new board game options he received for his birthday.  The new games are Guess Who? and Connect Four… both are challenging for a 5 and 3 year old, but that is also a plus side.. it “requires” us to play as a family.  The boys had both games figured out in no time!  Isaac’s (and mine) other favorite games are:

Zingo -- bingo with tiled pictures and words under them that are deposited easily by children 2 at a time (turn taking!!!)… to win you must have a black out of nine squares… we all love it… Trevor’s job until recently (he actually “plays” now) had been to keep the collection of tiles we didn’t use… He was proud of that job and still likes it, but does play “my card” with me now – so essentially it is his card!!!

Memory – we have Mickey Mouse… we still don’t use all the cards, but we are getting there… started with just 6 pairs!!

Yahtzee for kids –We have Toy Story and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  The rules are very different but they love to roll the dice, Isaac doesn’t like the “flaw” in the game (my opinion) = only 1 player can get say 4 Buzz dice throughout the game and if the next player get 4 Buzz dice then you have to have the 3 spot… He doesn’t like that!

Sequence for Kids – We love this game… again like connect 4 and Tic Tac Toe (iPad)  you need to block people and be paying attention!  It also has a “Trevor the Tiger” card and Trevor ALWAYS acts like a Tiger!  So cute to see that!

Dominoes – We have John Deere… Probably why they like it sooo much but I was SOOOO impressed how quickly Isaac learned the game… esp. the “double” picture cards and how to place them!!! Wow… he is a quick learner.

Cooties – aka in our house “the Caterpillar game”  Just a fun one.. I try to avoid it… !!! lol

The four of us gathered on the floor last night to challenge ourselves with the new games… Even Trevor impressed me and stayed attentive the entire time.  So, I can foresee us sharing many “game nights” with winter blowing in.  I know I said it didn’t I?... I hope we make time often to continue this family time!

Isaac often reminds me, "Don't help Trevor... Urgghhh..." But he knows and understands "fair" play already and is pretty good about letting me "help" Trevor "block" him or "win".  Hey, I really beat Isaac in Tic Tac Toe sometimes and he really beats me too... that is an important part of the playing, in my opinion... I wouldn't play at all if I wasn't teaching him good sportsmanship!!!  He is getting there! 

I am happy that my kids can have so many options at a young age.  Along with playing outside – playgrounds, baseball, and flying kites (they are our favorite activities), we have the board games and then the beloved iPad.  !! I aim to write about our favorite iPad applications soon!  There are some wonderful ones and yes we still play them together!  Maybe not all the time, but I would rather Isaac and Trevor, both “play” iPad than be glued to the TV… like, while I am making supper.  If only it wasn’t a cause for “fights” between brothers… which has GREATLY improved… Sharing in our house has miraculously improved within the last few weeks too!!!!!  Who did that?  (Now I jinxed myself for tonight.)




No comments:

Post a Comment