Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Crafty gift giving...

We had an early Christmas (my side of the family) this past weekend allowing more time to enjoy our family, and not rush through sharing gifts.  So I can start to share something we created for gifts!
For-going the “gift card” option for Christmas?… yes please.  I am not saying they are unwanted gifts.  In fact I like to get them.  But I just can’t wrap myself around giving them.  I do like to give a restaurant gift card for special occasions, like anniversaries and such (thank yous!!), but I love to be much more personable than what they can offer me for Christmas. 
I guess you could call me the “crafty” type.  But, you … yes YOU could do any of the small projects I made for Christmas gifts this year.  (My kids helped with some that I will share later on… so I know you can do it too!)  Especially helpful -- just for brain storming if not anything else -- is that lovely pinterest website.   It is where I found and adapted my scrabble art ideas.
I was looking for a used scrabble set…miss matched/unused items... whatever was available, but I was unable to locate one.  People had a hard time giving up their old games… they were more than willing to borrow it to me, but I don’t think they would have appreciated what little I had to give back! I don’t play scrabble, so it wouldn’t have bothered me. – I only play games I can win!  Ha.. well it is true I guess!  (I didn’t look too hard, but was able to find a new one for under $10!!)  I made all three of these with one set! And not too many extra pieces.  (I did “make” a few of my own letters – can you tell?  I just reversed the tile and drew on the back with a fine tip sharpie – there are only 2 “M”s in the whole set… did you know that?)  Remember, I don’t play!
The best advice I would give for this project is to find the “frames” first!!... Then you can mess around with the layout of the letters.  I was very lucky to find the “cherry” frames!  They worked perfectly with the double mat spacing to allow for space of the tile.  You can use a shadow box of any kind too.. which is what the other frame is.  It allowed a fun space for the “tile holder” to slip in and add more of the game feel to it!... I put a piece of scrapbook paper on the back of the “together” one and for mine.. obviously.. I used the game board…The shadow box allowed for a nice background already, which is a plus.  So much fun to make and give.  (Isaac helped me find letters… for most of it -- until he got bored!)  I think they enjoyed them too!...
Placed my new art above the
chaotic entry way/drop zone in our house!
When my sister (with a 4 year old daughter) opened hers she stated, “Hmmmm? Quiet?”.. ha.. I told her maybe she was looking for quiet around the house!... and I had to use a “Q” it is worth more points… lol!
So, I urge you to be creative – one of the biggest challenges for gift giving... I understand! (and then make one for yourself too -- you are going to wish you did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment