Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Asthma/Glasses of a 5 Year Old

Isaac better known as “I-me” by his little brother has been really good with his asthma issues until this week.  He has a well-developed cold that has settled into his chest, to stay?  Seems that way, last night he was up coughing for almost the entire night.  We have/had our niece spending the night with us for a few days and she is welcome back…she slept through it ALL… I was awake across the hall and she lay sleeping in her Disney princess’ sleeping bag peacefully.  Wow... Trevor even woke up twice in the next room over.  So very impressive!  (But, if they learned anything while she was with us… I hope they take away her eating habits!  She didn’t complain once and gobbled everything up…) So, I am very sleep deprived these last few days… A good excuse would be-because I am not used to having 3 kids- but it was my oldest child struggling to breathe L. 

Twice a day he is on a preventative inhaler.  What a difference it has made for Isaac (and his parents) over the past year.  I feel his asthma issues have been “under control,” thanks to that (expensive) medication.  When he was 2-3 ½ years old, he used to “cough” himself to sleep for about 30 minutes.  Now, he is only restless before bed due to his legs still “running”... lol…  We hadn’t used his other inhaler (bronchodilator) for wheezing for many months…we haul it everywhere though with the spacer (used to hold the suspension of medicine until the child can “inhale” the dose—6 breaths for Isaac)!  Anyways, he most definitely needed it last night.  “Can you lay by me mommy”… often was discussed throughout the night, but at one point he pushed my face away... as to “say” ok you can leave now... I laughed!... But, while I was lying by him I noticed AGAIN… that he holds his breathe so he doesn’t need to cough.  I reminded him often to keep breathing.  It isn’t that I fear he is going to stop breathing, but I ‘”copied” him for a few minutes and my chest hurt from holding my breath like that.  He received doses of his inhaler throughout the night, until he was finally comfortable to sleep through the remaining of the night at 3:30 a.m.  I hope for his sake, as well as my own,  that his cold is improved before bedtime tonight.  Poor guy-is probably worn out today.

We are also officially on our third set of glasses in under a year.  (I even bought a “back up pair” recently, so I guess 4th!)  He is a rough little boy.  We visit the eye doctor’s office to have them readjusted about 4 times a month.  Mostly today, I want to discuss how he “uses” his glasses as a defense against us!.. Isaac is VERY good about keeping his glasses on.  BUT—when he is not happy with mommy and daddy...they get “ripped” off his face and he says things like, “fine, I won’t wear my glasses if---“ and so the fit begins.  This is often how they get stretched out.  It is humorous, yet irritating to me that he finds power in his glasses. 

Just to fill you in on the socks issue, Isaac has decided -just in time for fall- that he doesn’t need to wear socks, since he can’t find any he likes in his drawer, mind you he wore socks ALL summer. 

Just a few challenges of having boys!   

No comments:

Post a Comment