Monday, April 30, 2012

Taking time to enjoy some moments...

I have been down in the dumps-- or maybe just digging in that "hole"-- for quite sometime now... I am still trying to climb my way out, but it's not moving very quickly... at least not quick enough for me... there have been some fun and positive things happening lately, but haven't had enough energy to creatively  blog about them... let alone sit back and enjoy the moments, although I am trying too... so here is my first attempt:... although I don't have much time now either, but I do need a break and need to release some thoughts from my plugged up head.

so anywho...I will go back a few weeks and share with you the joy soccer is bringing to my oldest boy.

The Easter bunny had excellent timing, bringing him an "official" size 3 soccer ball AND shin guards!!  Soccer practice started just after he delivered the perfect treat for an eager little boy! 

What choas the soccer fields are for a first time "soccer mom". Yes, I suppose that is what I am now... the soccer mom!... I feel as if I was everything but before the title found me, but I enjoy it now... the beginning of the first practice -- I wasn't so sure I could handle it.  Isaac, Trevor, and I all head to the fields... swarmed by other eager kids and annoyed parents and these tiny little signs that most of the crowd was covering-- the signs were suppose to help me figure where we are going... I was on the hunt for practice field K4.  Now... I had read the "map" but had it backwards in my mind... obviously........I parked pretty close (well at least I thought) to the fields... I saw the alphabetized fields and thought I had found the perfect parking spot and thought, "wow I can handle this!!"  I was actually running on time and headed in the right direction....of course that didn't last long.  The BIG kids use the Alphabetized fields, then there are some numbered fields for who?? I am sure one day I will figure that out too.... then there are 12 "K" for Kindergarten fields.... so I wasn't even close to the accurate practice field.

Tired little Trevor was hungry and cold... eager big Isaac was pointing at every field... "Is that my team??"... "Is that one it, mom?"... I finally actually said out loud... "I have NO IDEA Isaac"... and some dad that was feeling my painful call  (OK it wasn't that bad---it was getting there, but not that bad yet??!!)  Said to me "First time?"... yeah was I that obvious and he stated that the small kiddos are with the yellow nets...although he didn't know where they were at least now I knew what I was looking for........

Well after what felt like 15 mins (was probably only 3...) and a trip around the entire soccer area... I finally approached a seasoned parent (at least she looked like it!!) and asked them if they knew where I was supposed to be??-- She happened to be a parent on the team playing on K4... THE WEEVILS!!!... Go Weevils!

There was no yellow net in sight... They weren't going to be using them this first practice... oh of course not....So we found our field!!!  relief...

So again, we were just a little later than I wanted to be (nothing new there) and Isaac didn't bring his ball...cuz I didn't think he needed it.. (and yes... you should bring a ball if you have one!...) and this soccer mom kept his shin guards in her sweatshirt pocket, just in case he needed them (you know to protect the shins that I store in there too) as I cuddled with Trevor (it was a chilly evening) --who constantly wanted to know where his daddy was???...I began to watch a 5 year old boy totally enjoy his first actual sporting event.

He was glowing!  I am not so sure that he ever quit "jumping" so to speak-- anticipating whatever he gets to do next... it was fun to watch him "keep an eye on" his teammates to learn what to do --- that is it, the moment I knew that my little boy was growing up and was going to be able to take care of himself (ok, so it's just the start)  But I teared up a bit thinking about it -- finally some happy tears running down my face... just a few...no one noticed!!! ;)

Mid practice... a whole 15 minutes... the coach (who is just a parent of a teammate) said go get a drink... poor Isaac was like.. "Where?"...with good intentions, cuz he knew I didn't have any water... Lesson learned there too... As practice wrapped up, I was told -- Mom, he needs shin guards for practice and the games, "Oh, like these I have in my pocket??" They just laughed at me -- (In my defense, everyone was wearing them under their pants and I figured it would have been mentioned if he needed them!!) SO:  bring ball, wear shin guards, and fill a water bottle!
Trevor, the spectator...with HIS ball.
Then onto the first game day!... I am surprised Isaac slept the night before he was so excited... I anticipated correctly that I didn't know where I was going...Joe was working again, so I hauled my 2 boys through the crowd... each carrying a ball (Trevor couldn't be left out.. and of course his was the gigantic play ball we had)... I had a bag full of blankets and a few snacks...oh and of course the water bottle and off we went, on the search for the yellow nets...I wasn't quite as dramatic as the first search!


Isaac Playing in his first soccer game!
Isaac enjoyed his game, but as we had practiced He kind of hung around the "huddled" group of kids that encroached the soccer ball... and danced around them waiting for that all important "pass" we had been working on!... We have since used the approach... "KICK it hard toward the right net"!!!!!  I guess our strategy had to change with the game too!... I wanted him to be that "team" player, but he is already in other ways!!! Telling his teammates good job, and cheers for them!!!! 

Makes my heart happy!


THEN -- the BIG moment.. in game number 2!!!

He had been using the kick it hard advice and he scored his first goal!!!!!!  HE was so pumped!... It made me very happy, cuz he looked for me almost immediately to make sure I saw what he had accomplished!  Trevor was even clapping!!  It was a moment that I needed!!  I needed to enjoy my little boy's pride in himself and knowing that there are still these little things in life that I can still look forward too.  ( I am sorry for the delay on the excitement -- it is hard to find now days -- although it is as equally important that they still exist and I am grateful for them!!)

At practice tonight...we brought the filled water bottle... but another note I should have made to myself...watch the youngest brother--he drank 3/4s of the bottle before break time...Oops

P.S.... I have since helped other lost parents and some grandparents too I think!!!  -- so I guess I am that soccer mom after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment