Friday, November 18, 2011

Pride of the North!!?...

Isaac stormed in through the garage door last night all excited… I had anticipated the news… “Mom!!!... --oh just wait mom…”  He quickly got undressed from his winter gear, yes this Mom finally got out the winter gear and he was excited to wear that too – (not so much of the same excitement from me!)  He then continued up the stairs with a huge certificate in his hands—almost tripping over himself!  “I passed ‘d mom!!! – I did 12 Bobs”  (He always adds an extra “d” to the “ed” words??!)  He can now be in level 2 of Swim North Dakota swimming lessons and is wondering when he can start them already. 

Last night he couldn’t settle down and go to sleep… It was one of the worst nights of going to bed he has had in a long time… I could tell he was excited and couldn’t resist asking more questions and popping out of his sheets to attempt another one.  “When I am done with level 7, what do we do then Mom? – Go back to level 1”…lol… I couldn’t resist… by this time it was almost my bedtime, so he was on a short leash. 

I am very proud of him… conquering his fear of going underwater so quickly.  Going from just blowing bubbles and begging us not to put him under—whenever we went swimming – to 12 Bobs and jumping in by himself --  in 8 days!  Pretty good progress!  So I guess it was good to put him in lessons!!! Ha ha… I knew it would be, but now we are even more challenged to get swimming throughout winter so the excitement continues and more progress can be made!

I am also thrilled that he can be so proud of himself!  Kind of a relief, because he can get “down” on himself pretty quickly.  I asked if he wanted to call his Grandmas and Grandpas to share his achievement… “YES!” – who are we calling first?… I wasn’t moving fast enough.  I have often been “worried” about how to teach my children pride and about boosting their self-esteems.  I guess this triumph has verified the little accomplishments can mean a lot to him as well!

We have also conquered the bed wetting!!!  Pretty well anyways… not many accidents within this last month.  He finished his chart last week (we still need to get his “prize”… he isn’t too concerned I guess?!)  and I asked if he wanted another one or if he was a big boy now?... “I don’t need another one Mom!!!”

So the Swim ND certificate has replaced the “I woke up dry” chart displayed in his room! = with PRIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment