Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Color a Happy Day!

Oh, a CRAYON Birthday Party!!!!  It was so easy!  Here is what I did!

The invitations:  I made them out of cardstock paper (scrapbook closet – needs to get used for something!!!)… First I cut the “yellow boxes” from one 8” x  12” page, by evenly cutting the paper in 1/3s in the “landscape view.”   Then I folded each strip… almost in half so the top tab can be folded over later!  Then I added the green bands and printed the “3” and the Happy Birthday “Banner” on computer paper.  I attached all of this with a glue stick!... I found clip art of a crayon and used it as a template for making- again “3” (in this case)- crayons to go inside!!!!!  Each crayon contained different party information… Example red: where, blue: what, etc…. I received LOTS of compliments!


THE CAKE:  Of course, this is the inspiration for the entire party!  Usually how my ideas start… all about the cake!  A friend of mine posted a crayon cake she made for the first day of kindergarten!  (very cute!)  So I “stole” the idea from her!  Use upside down ice cream cones as the top of the crayons sticking out of the box!!!  How creative!  I used marshmallow fondant for covering the cones and the banner, but everything else was my usual buttercream frosting.

ALSO, Betty Crocker posted a “Royal Blue Velvet” cake recipe, inspired by the sapphire engagement ring (Kate and Prince William!).  I had my eye on that recipe and where I could use it for a few months!... It was delicious!  And moist and PERFECT for a crayon party. 

The plates, napkins, utensils, etc...were primary colors = super cheap that way!
The favors:  SUPER easy!... And even cheap- Crayola items… I bought them during back to school sales… Probably one of the cheapest favor bags I have done yet, and probably the most items in it!  They were fun to put together.  I used a font I downloaded from the internet (a new experience!! Easy actually!) called Pencilpete that looks like you wrote with a crayon.  I used this font to label each bag with their name and am using it for thank you, since a 3 year old can’t write his own! 



I would say a very easy, fun, and creative –“something different”—birthday party!  This Mommy had a lot of fun with it!  (so did the birthday boy…whewwww!)

No comments:

Post a Comment